Tuesday, 10 July 2007

Final stage of my course

I've just received the dates for the final part of my course! In just under a year's time I could be qualified... That includes doing 100 treatments & some case histories. It occurred to me recently that rather than knowing every thing about shiatsu, I think it'll be equivalent to being a Dan grade. You know the basics & principles, & are ready to really learn. Makes me also think about when I learnt to ride a motorbike too. I started to properly relax & learn more once I passed my test.
I feel that thinking that way takes some pressure off, as previously I thought I needed to be an expert once qualified.

I've got 2 exams on Saturday, & I'm pretty chilled about that which is unusual for me. I think at the moment I'd prefer to fail them, but be chilled, rather than stress like I normally do. I did manage to be relaxed about my last physiology exam, so that's my plan from now on. The next stage is more important & I need to be chilled now, rather than end up flapping around all stressed from September to June next year.

I think I need to sit down & consider what shiatsu means to me. What is there that will keep me going if things are tough? I know the study is changing the way I view people & things. The Shiatsu Society have mentioned that a growing number of students qualify & then disappear a year or so afterwards. I know this is probably partly due to the pressures of setting up your own business, but I don't intend on joining them!

Oh, some silly kinda relevant YouTube thingies:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VKKQH9bNI8w
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2_uuN5kuq74

5 comments:

  1. One thing that stands out in my mind is the transition from student to practitioner. One minute you're quietly learning shiatsu, treating friends and family for free, and suddenly you're out there having to market yourself and deal with insurance and tax and a different set of people with all kinds of different expectations. It's a huge step change, and all at a time when your school -- what should be a valuable support network -- is no longer there, or at least not in the same capacity. I see the Shiatsu Society's policy of not allowing students any form of professional practice as slightly to blame here, and I much prefer Shiatsu International's approach. Certainly it's the route I plan to take.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gary, thanks for leaving a comment.
    I completely agree with what you say. Just when you need extra support it's gone, but I guess other professions must suffer from that as well?
    Thanks for mentioning Shiatsu International as I hadn't heard of them & will be nosing on their website.
    Have also added a link to you blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, thanks for the link :)

    I guess with most regular professions you're employed in some capacity while you train. Maybe directly, as some kind of apprentice, or maybe you go to university then you have some kind of probationary period as a graduate while you figure out how what you learned applies to real life. Either way there's a grey area between learning and working.

    It's not so obvious from their website but whereas the Shiatsu Society has one register (MRSS) Shiatsu International has two (PRRSI and PRTSI). A PRTSI is roughly equivalent to an MRSS, but a PRRSI is different in that it only requires one year of training and denotes a practitioner able to give treatments for relaxation and general wellbeing but not able to give health care advice. The point being that you can register as a PRRSI after your first year of training and practice professionally during your remaining two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. incredible!!!
    i´m a shiatsu practitioner and i´m very glad to see the litle cats
    i like your space
    greetings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bachatadharma, & greetings :)
    Thanks for your comment & stopping by.
    I had a nose at your blog, but I'm afraid my Spanish is pretty much non-existent...
    Regards,
    Anita.

    ReplyDelete