Friday, 21 September 2007

Scary Stage 4

Well, I started Stage 4 of my course last week end. I thoroughly enjoyed it, apart from being ill with some kind of cold, achey bug. The nice thing was that the practical side was aimed at me, & I found some work on Lung & Spleen seemed to help a lot.

One surprise is that our branch is dropping the Zen shiatsu from our course. I'm not sure it's a good thing, but we'll have more time to spend on TCM (traditional Chinese medicine) theory. We're already learning 14 meridians, but you have to know a further 12 for Zen! Hara diagnosis is Zen, but I think I will still spend some time practicing it, as I think your centre is a pretty important part of you. I think some of us were disappointed that there wasn't any consultation about changing our syllabus. One of the other students said she wouldn't have signed up initially without the Zen component. I'm not sure I know enough about it to give an opinion.

I've been getting a bit worried that I don't know my channels particularly well, let alone point location & function. I spoke to my teacher about the possible option of postponing this stage to learn them, & his answer was a resounding 'no'. I've just found them some thing hard to learn previously. However, I've now sat down with the list of points I need & started putting together my own notebook. I feel much better about it now.
I realise that my current shiatsu is more about going to where I'm needed on some one. I don't think I just 'do' & normally afterwards people have said I was in the right place. More confidence about channels & points will only strengthen my technique. Steady on, that sounds a bit positive there...

When the Shiatsu Society (eventually) gets back to me, I'll be setting up my own website, which is pretty exciting. I need to decide on designs for business cards & leaflets too.

5 comments:

  1. I like your site very much. Since we have the same theme of site i would like to have a link exchange with your site. If you are interested contact me. You can put my site link which is in the left side of my site http://my-acupressure.blogspot.com

    thank You

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, just curious - why is your school dropping the Zen aspect of Shiatsu?

    What will the diagnosis emphasis be now? Do you use tongue and pulse diagnosis?

    Jaz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ramprekash, thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. I'll put a link to your site as I think it has a lot in common with mine too.
    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jaz, thanks for the comment :)
    Our principal reckons that trying to learn the further 12 meridians & other theory is too much. I think he wants to concentrate on the TCM side & make sure we know how to treat people when we graduate.

    To be honest, I'm not quite sure what the diagnosis emphasis will be now. They were quite keen for us to use hara diagnosis, & we'd also looked at back, tongue & pulse too.
    He has mentioned hara diagnosis based on the 5 elements, which we haven't been taught yet.

    I guess I'll find out soon enough, but it was a bit of a surprise really.

    Are you studying or practising?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anita,

    I'm in my final year like you, but at the British School.

    We do Zen and Hara diagnosis etc. - personnaly I would like to learn more TCM oriented diagnostic techniques aswell like tongue and pulse, but I also like the Hara diagnosis and I must admit I like the extended meridians.

    Jaz

    ReplyDelete