Wednesday, 12 December 2007

Shiatsu vs. accounting

I enjoyed studying for my accounting qualification (AAT) & would definitely recommend it to any one wanting to get into accounting. It came along for me at the right time; I needed some thing else in my life, study exercised the ol' grey matter & it's certainly helped my job prospects. It seems to be pretty popular with employers & I managed to get a temping job very quickly when I moved to a new area. Therefore, I think it was the right course for me at that time. It would be very easy to think 'why couldn't I have studied shiatsu then', but I know I wasn't ready for it.

I guess I'm just finding studying AAT & shiatsu very different! I think I could study accounting in the same way I studied at school & college. OK, you have to learn how to 'do' stuff in accounting, but I could memorise things fairly easily for the exams.
In shiatsu, the first time we were tested on the 5 elements, I learnt the information in the same way, & could 'regurgitate' it to pass. However, some time later I found I really couldn't remember much at all, to my horror.
To be honest, I don't think I really understood the theory, & that's the problem, I guess. I don't think I have a proper grasp of some of the theory we have covered. I just feel I need more time (& practice) for it to sink in. The question is how to do this in your final year? My current answer is to postpone the final exams, but to be honest, the perfectionist inside doesn't like that, unsurprisingly.

I get stressed. I always have done... It's some thing I'm working on changing, & I know much of it has to do with the high standards I set myself. I care very much about shiatsu, that's why I've been stressed. I want to do well with my studies, & help people as my experience grows. I don't want to be a mediocre shiatsu practitioner. And I don't mean that in a big headed way, I just want to be good at what I do.
I care about aikido, that's why I get frustrated in class & then get emotional because I don't know what to do with that feeling. Anger/tears = what do I do with this??

Before I started practising aikido, I did Goju Ryu karate for about 2 1/2 years. I think it was much easier as some how I didn't care about it as much. I came to the conclusion it wasn't the right art for me, after trying Wing Chun kung fu & then found aikido. Some times I wonder how I'd find a karate class now. Would I fall back into it, or start shihonage without thinking?

Bottom line, I care more about studying shiatsu than I did accounting. Studying shiatsu is much more challenging for me, & there's all the practical side too. I know aikido will help, but I have so little patience with myself still.

No comments:

Post a Comment