Wednesday, 4 April 2012

D is for dinosaur

For as long as I can remember, I've been a bit mad about dinosaurs. As a little girl, I thought they were the best thing ever (and still do really) and my favourite is the stegosaurus!
I remember being on holiday in the New Forest as a child, and meeting a boy my own age and boring him about dinosaurs until he complained that he just wanted to play football. "What do you mean you don't have a favourite dinosaur??"

I was in absolute awe the first ever time I saw the 26 metre long diplodocus replica skeleton in the Natural History Museum's central hall. I'm pretty sure I had to be dragged away.
'Dippy' is made up of 292 bone casts including 70 vertebrae in the tail. The cast is a replica of a near-complete diplodocus carnegii skeleton uncovered in the western USA in 1898. It took 18 months to make the cast and after its completion in 1904, it was shipped to England in 36 crates.
You can even follow him on Twitter @NHM_Dippy!

The internet is an amazing place and it seems it's not just me that loves them :)
Here's some random dino stuff for any other fans out there:

No comments:

Post a Comment