Saturday, 7 April 2012

G is for Getting Things Done

I'm a bit of a perfectionist by nature, which I've previously mentioned here.
I can struggle some times with knowing where to start, and put things off when they seem too complex or I get stuck on the details. It seems to be that I go through periods of pretty good productivity, and then start to feel a little overwhelmed and then it snowballs, and BAM I'm just stuck!

'It's possible for a person to have an overwhelming number of things to do and still function productively with a clear head and a positive sense of relaxed control' is how the first chapter starts of the book Getting Things Done: How to Achieve Stress-free Productivity. As soon as I saw 'relaxed control', I was hooked as it reminds me of aikido! In the past, I always figured I had to work harder and this seemed to come with its own stress and anxiety, which wasn't much fun. The book is split into three sections and I found it was well laid out and an easy read. Section one introduces the concepts, two is all about the doing (e.g. getting started, collection etc.) and the last section explains certain principles in more depth.

I admit I haven't implemented every thing in the book, but what I have done definitely helps me feel more in control and more focused. Things such as:
  • If it's going to take less than 2 minutes, do it now
  • Get it all out of your head - I regularly get a piece of paper and write down every thing that's on my mind and process it 
  • Begin with the end in mind - what would success look, sound and feel like? 
  • What's the successful outcome, and what would be the very next step to move it forward? 
There are lots of great articles over at GTD Times, and also free articles and podcasts available from the company itself.
My main tool for GTD is my filofax (a recently acquired vintage pink A5 Malden) & I use the paper planner setup in my filofax found here.

8 comments:

  1. I am also a big fan of GTD. It reduces stress and increases my sharpness. Regarding perfectionism, I do also share this quality. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I have a suspicion a fair number of filofax folk share this trait

      Delete
  2. I strive for perfection - but it invariably eludes me. 2nd-best is not so bad on a busy day and after a life-time of running around after my family I've probably discovered which things are really worth the effort of getting worked up about!

    Mind you - now I've given up work, I have all day to achieve perfection! ;-p

    Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier, btw!

    SueH I refuse to go quietly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, you're welcome about me visiting your blog & I'm quite enjoying finding new sites. I think second best is great & am trying to down grade my expectations :)

      Delete
  3. I'm struggling with catching up ALL the time. Thanks for the tips...to better organised times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stuff is always piling up for me, but that is because I never take care of any of the small things. Really good advice to just do anything that takes less than two minutes right away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. I regularly have to get it all out of my head - write down lists so I can think straight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post! It's a really great summary of GTD

    ReplyDelete