Sunday, 1 April 2012

A is for aikido (my 1st A-Z challenge post)

I've been practising a martial art called aikido since 2004.
I started off writing a 'what is aikido' paragraph, but came to the conclusion that there are already some great explanations out there, so will focus on what keeps me coming back for more.

Here are a couple of videos made for our club:





What I love about aikido:
  • The more I relax, the more powerful I am in my practise
  • Positivity in language and movement - our techniques can be soft and flowing, but they're always positive. Teachers focus on what a student is doing well and build on that, rather than saying, "That's rubbish, start again"
  • It becomes a meditation in movement as I'm focused on the present moment
  • It challenges me every single time I step on the mat, regardless of if I'm practising with a black belt or some one attending their first ever class
  • When I throw a fellow student more powerfully, it makes them laugh and smile and come back for more
  • The movements just feel good and flying through the air into a forward roll is fun
  • What I learn on the mat helps me in my daily life (link to our club's association).

4 comments:

  1. I don't know about flying through the air feeling good, but Akido sounds like a good way to practice life at its finest. I keep looking for a Tai Chi class. Hope I spelled that right. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment :)
      We work our way up to the rolling slowly & at the individual's pace. I'd really recommend tai chi & hope you find a great class.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a pretty good way to spend your time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Libby, thanks for your comment & yes, I love it so much :)

      Delete