Friday, 13 April 2012

L is for letting go

By the time I started sixth form college, I'd become fairly introverted, shy and generally a bit unhappy with who I was. Thinking back to that time is a bit strange as I feel like a completely different person now. I used to be such a worrier and wasted energy by getting stressed about all sorts of things.

I knew I wanted to change and started reading books like Letting Go of the Person You Used to Be and the Tao of Pooh. I wasn't ready to start putting much of it into practise yet, but I had commenced the process of understanding that I could be different. When I visualise myself doing some thing, it takes it a step closer to becoming reality. For example, when my husband first asked me to teach an aikido class, I was downright scared of the idea! But once I could see myself doing it, I then realised I actually could.

Letting go of how I'd been for so many years was hard and some times it felt like one step forward and then three back. I found my way into things that helped me become stronger, like practising martial arts, riding a motorbike and working for the Department of Social Security for 5 years (maybe a strange one to include, but it was rarely an easy job).


My Mum is a very strong and capable person, and I feel that strength has been passed onto me. I don't remember when my husband and I started using the metaphor of 'letting my tiger out', but I definitely needed to work on that in preparation for my black belt. To be honest, I've been a bit scared in the past of the growing power I have on the mat. It's a bit silly really, as I only practise like that with people of a similar or higher grade.
It can be useful to use memories to remind myself of how far I've come, but I more often feel I'm letting go of all the rubbish that gets in my way of how I want to be or where I want to go.

Love this song and the title conveniently begins with an L.

5 comments:

  1. we let go of things so we can find new ones to hold on to:)
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com
    Happy A-Zing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, Anita. :) It's always somewhat of a daunting undertaking to try and consciously change yourself, so major congrats on managing it. Actually, I don't think including the job at the Social Security is strange at all. I've often thought that I'd like to try being a security guard, for the same purpose you rode a motorcycle here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Letting go can be real good advise. You can't swim in the pool until you let go of the side. Thanks for visiting my blog. I appreciate it, and figured I'd return the favor. I read some of your other posts, too. (The site with the LOLcats absolutely rocks!) You don't have to be serious or "deep" with your blog. Just be YOU. Count me in as your newest follower. Happy A-Zing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday. I so glad that you did! I'm really enjoying yours. This is such an authentic post. Happy to hear that you are embracing your strength & letting go of all that does not really matter.

    ReplyDelete