Saturday, 14 April 2012

M is for meditation

I've been meditating on and off for many years now.
Thinking back, I don't recall when I started or why exactly. I remember sitting in the spare bedroom in the dark, trying to meditate and becoming increasingly frustrated as the sound of a passing car distracted me every single time. With the gift of hindsight, I think I was just trying too hard. I eventually gave up, but found my way back after an extended break.




So, what's helped me move forward with my meditation?
  • Attending a 6 week introductory course with the lovely Sandy Humby - I wish I'd got some outside help sooner as this was a turning point for me
  • Attending the Sit in Peace event in Trafalgar Square - very inspiring and an amazing experience to share with so many people
  • Using guided meditations to help quiet my monkey mind
  • Working on finding the right ones for me - currently a daily Gassho meditation, with occasional guided  or breathing ones for variety  
  • Persistence! My advice is to keep at it, as even 5 minutes a day will help. 
Some interesting links:


3 comments:

  1. Your post inspires me to recommit to meditation habit. I meditated regularly before the children and then my practice fell away from me. I think I need this now more than ever!

    Thanks for sharing your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meditation is good indeed, and doing it the right way is the trick to it.
    Happy blogging :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try meditating sometimes, but I usually doze off. I don't think I'm doing it right, lol. Just stopping by from the A to Z Challenge.

    ReplyDelete