Thinking back, I don't recall when I started or why exactly. I remember sitting in the spare bedroom in the dark, trying to meditate and becoming increasingly frustrated as the sound of a passing car distracted me every single time. With the gift of hindsight, I think I was just trying too hard. I eventually gave up, but found my way back after an extended break.
So, what's helped me move forward with my meditation?
- Attending a 6 week introductory course with the lovely Sandy Humby - I wish I'd got some outside help sooner as this was a turning point for me
- Attending the Sit in Peace event in Trafalgar Square - very inspiring and an amazing experience to share with so many people
- Using guided meditations to help quiet my monkey mind
- Working on finding the right ones for me - currently a daily Gassho meditation, with occasional guided or breathing ones for variety
- Persistence! My advice is to keep at it, as even 5 minutes a day will help.
Some interesting links: