Tuesday, 17 April 2012

O is on wanting less

My husband and I went away for Christmas to the wonderful Ilfracombe.
Here's what I took  for seven days:
  • Two pairs of boots (one for walking and a smarter pair)
  • Just enough clothes, with nothing left unworn 
  • Wash stuff 
  • A couple of pieces of favourite jewellery
  • Filofax
  • Three books (two non-fiction and one fiction)  
  • iPod touch 
  • and other small essentials like my phone and wallet. 
And I loved how this felt. Unencumbered by the weight and volume of my possessions, of the junk I've accumulated over the years. I'm a wannabe minimalist, but I've still some way to go on this journey.

Why do I want less?
  • To simplify and appreciate what I do have
  • To enjoy space and not feel the need to fill it up
  • To be content and decide what 'enough' is  
  • To become a more mindful consumer.   

I've donated quite a bit to charity shops and started selling on eBay more recently, and I can't think of anything I've really regretted getting rid of. Occasionally, I've given away items which I might enjoy now but it's all just stuff. Happy memories for me are of experiences and times with people, not of me buying  things.

I've made a conscious decision to want less, but I'm not quite there yet. It's strange as I can have the initial desire for a filofax (for example), but once I open it up at home I realise that I actually don't want it at all. This is exactly what happened here and luckily I found a loving home for the binder, but it helped me understand that I only wanted the one. Yes, I've spent more money to have less (sounds a bit weird), but I think that may be required sometimes to own useful and beautiful possessions I love and use.   

2 comments:

  1. Interesting discussion. I agree with you about using less. But how does 'O' stand for wanting less? You're cheeting--come on, admit it. Blog on!

    http://francene-wordstitcher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. "O" is ON wanting less, in the title. It could also refer to living with ONLY the right stuff... Only what you need, only what you truly want, only what you use, only what you love. This post has "o" all over it. ;)

    Love it, A!!

    ReplyDelete