Friday, 20 April 2012

R is for running

Some years ago, a friend of mine invited me to complete the Race for Life and I thought, "Why not? It's for charity and it's only 5K". I assumed I would run it and probably give up, as I thought it might be boring, despite enjoying cross-country at school. A local personal trainer kindly agreed to give us some of her time and I was immediately hooked after our first outing. I run because I absolutely love it, and the fact that it's good for me is an added bonus.

Why do I love it? I think mainly because it feels childlike, reminding me of running and laughing, chasing dogs and racing about outside. I love the movement forward,  hearing my breath, the birds singing and the steady rhythm of my footfalls. I've never listened to music whilst on a run as I want to soak up the experience, listen to my body and often it becomes a meditative time. Some times my mind feels very still and other times I mull over thoughts and questions I already had before lacing up my shoes. On two occasions, it's felt almost spiritual with the sun shining on my face, as I feel like I'm barely moving or that I could run forever with no effort. On the very rare occasions that I don't feel like going, I say to myself, "Just put on your kit, get out of the door and run to the end of the road". By that point, I never want to turn back, so it always works!

There's lots of helpful information out there, and I'd thoroughly recommend Runner's World with articles like:

I love the simplicity of it as all you really need to get started is some decent running shoes.

1 comment:

  1. Keep at it! Check out my books and you'll see why I noticed your post :-) (http://www.y42k.com/books.htm):

    "R is for Running" is "a lighthearted lexicon that spells out what it means to be a runner". It's $7.99 in paper and 99 cents for the ebook.

    "Chasing the Runner's High" is the story of how I pushed my addiction to running up to, and then past, my limits. I share what I've learned, what I should have learned, and what I still has to learn from running. Marshall Ulrich, four-time winner of the Badwater Ultramarathon, says the book "provides a hard look into the mind of a runner". It's that, but there's plenty of fun too. "Chasing the Runner's High" is only $12.99 for the trade paperback or $2.99 for the ebook.

    And if you can help spread the word, I'll light a candle for you :-)
    --Ray Charbonneau
    Y42K? blog: http://y42k.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete