Monday, 30 April 2012

Z is for Zen Habits

I came across Zen Habits a couple of years ago, during a period when I was a bit addicted to productivity blogs. I wanted to change less useful habits like procrastination, but spent too much time reading about productivity, instead of getting on with stuff! I discovered loads of other great sites, such as Lifehacker, Steve Pavlina and 43 Folders. However, there was something about Zen Habits that grabbed me straightaway and I subscribed to his posts pretty soon after.

More information about the creator and writer, Leo Babauta, can be found here. In my opinion, his posts are well written, intelligent and inspiring. Over time, it seems his focus has moved further away from just productivity ideas, and more towards mindfulness and how to enjoy life. I've found I've been naturally moving in this direction anyway, and discovered some important principles for me:

  • It's not possible to be highly productive 24/7 - this took me quite some time to figure out & I understand now that it's natural for me to have downtime after periods of higher productivity
  • If I'm kind to myself I procrastinate less and generally get much more done.
I decided to buy some of Leo's books as I had enjoyed and benefited from his site for free. He uses his writing to support his family and I like the idea of being able to contribute to his chosen career.
I have purchased:

I think my favourite book is still Zen to Done, as it 'takes some of the best aspects of a few popular productivity systems  (GTD, Stephen Covey and others) and combines them with the mandate of simplicity. It makes things as simple as possible, and no more'. Now that I have more space in my A5 filofax, I'd really like to simplify my system and get it working better.

If you're a newcomer to Zen Habits, I'd recommend you start at the beginner's guide to Zen Habits: a guided tour.

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment & for visiting :)
      I've also replied to your comment on your Z post.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog in the A-Z - looking forward to reading more of your excellent writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome & I've been enjoying finding new blogs on the challenge. Thanks for your kind compliment about my writing :)

      Delete
  3. Hello Anita. I have also read a lot of Leo Babautas writing, it is exellent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an interesting post! I really liked reading about this topic.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great advice. I fall off this wagon from time to time, and it pretty much matches my depression which is dependent on my chronic pain issues...it's a circle of chicken/egg/omelet. Finding myself in the need of a good reminder that it's OK to sit and celebrate a milestone. Like yesterday. I was able to go for a walk. Something my physical condition has rendered impossible the last three years. Thanks for the encouragement of this post.
    Tina @ Life is Good
    Co-Host of the April A to Z Challenge
    Twitter: @AprilA2Z #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina, thanks for your comment & I'm glad you found my post encouraging :)
      I'll be popping over to have a nose at your blog.

      Delete