Saturday, 16 June 2012

Zen and the art of putting in earrings

I recently bought myself these little CBR (captive bead ring) earrings. I'd hoped they would be a bit more turquoise, but I love them as they're very light to wear, comfy and small enough to sleep in. I often used to wear them when I owned a motorbike as they wouldn't get snagged in the lining of my bike helmet.  


One thing I'd forgotten is that sometimes putting them in can be a bit tricky, as you need to match the indentations on the ball to the open ends of the hoop. At first, I found this very easy, but strangely I've been finding it harder now to put them in and sometimes I only manage to get one done before I lose patience. I'm not sure this makes sense as the earrings are the same and I doubt I've bent them as they're made of coloured titanium.

And then I realised the other day that it's all about higher expectations and trying too hard. I wasn't really expecting a life lesson from jewellery, but the harder I try to fit the ball in, the less likely I am to be able to do it! It seems that when I let my mind wander (rather than focusing on finding the other end of the ring) and relax, it means that I can put them in very quickly. It's made me realise that there are other areas of my life where I can often try too hard and set myself unrealistic standards. I'm so much better than I used to be, but this just seemed to be a gentle and timely reminder to prepare for success and let go of the outcome. I've decided that's my little mantra for the time being :)  

PS
I'm glad to say I'm over my little bout of SAD after doing lots of aikido, using our light lamp, being kind to myself, snoozing in the bath and the recent sunshine between the showers has helped enormously too.

2 comments:

  1. Oh What joy! To have discovered a little bit of Zen wisdom from something as simple as earrings! The Divine has such a wonderful way of teaching us lessons!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely agree, Pam!
      I'm trying to listen a little more carefully to pick up things like this & to see more opportunities. Thanks for finding me on the Goddess Circle :)

      Delete