Monday, 8 April 2013

G is for gratitude

Since getting back from a wonderful holiday to Malaysia, I've been a bit slow at getting back to blogging. And then in the back of my mind I had a vague recollection that I'd meant to do something in April. Hmm, I looked through my filofax and then found a little scribble... ah, the A to Z Challenge which I did last year! Ooops, bit too late to join in this time, but I've realised that I have lots of unfinished draft posts and ideas scribbled down. Therefore, I've decided that I will join in the challenge next year and explore some of the thoughts I've already started.

I feel very blessed by so many things in my life. Some years ago, I used to keep a gratitude journal to help me through the tougher times, but nowadays I don't generally feel the need to write it down. On a fairly regular basis, before I go to sleep I think about the day and choose 3 things that I am grateful for. It helps me consider if I spent the day in a way I wanted to, and I like that my last thoughts before dozing off are positive ones.

What am I grateful for?
  • My wonderful, thoughtful and supportive husband
  • My lovely family
  • Good health - I sometimes catch colds and stuff more often than I'd like, but a mixture of shiatsu and the occasional chiropractic session keep me in shape
  • Finding my way to aikido, such an amazing and subtle martial art
  • Being able to follow my interest in shiatsu, and move from full to part-time work to enable me to study and practice
  • Working for a great company with fab people
  • And so much more...
'Let us be grateful to people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom' - Marcel Proust

'Every day, think as you wake up, today I am fortunate to have woken up, I am alive, I have a precious human life, I am not going to waste it. I am going to use all my energies to develop myself, to expand my heart out to others, to achieve enlightenment for the benefit of all beings. I am going to have kind thoughts towards others, I am not going to get angry or think badly about others, I am going to benefit others as much as I can' - HH the Dalai Lama

Photo courtesy of happy_serendipity

No comments:

Post a Comment