Sunday, 27 November 2016

Recovering from illness/injury with yoga

I've been struggling to write recently.
Numerous times I have sat down and the words just don't seem to come. I think the best analogy that I can come up with is that normally when I write a post, it's like I tip a bag full of scrabbles tiles out and start to arrange the words. There are too many to begin with, and I always reduce the amount written in an attempt to make it clearer and more succinct. However, recently there's been a hole in the bag and I end up searching around right into the corners , don't feel happy with the little that does come and just give up.

2016 hasn't been the best year for me due to some annoyingly persistent illness and injury (nothing serious, thankfully). Due to post viral fatigue, it's felt like someone's reached into me and stolen much of my normal stamina. I cannot imagine what it must be like for someone like my husband that has ME/CFS. I feel lucky that my fatigue is just like when you're recovering from the flu and end up doing a bit too much too soon. Whilst I still feel very grateful when comparing myself with many others, it has been challenging and it hasn't been good for my general well-being to not be exercising.


Therefore 2016 had been the year that yoga returned to my life in a big way! I am hugely grateful to Adriene for all her free videos by Yoga With Adriene and it's been such a life-saver in relation to my sanity whilst still recovering. I find that it can often become a vicious circle of not exercising due to feeling not 100%, but being too sedentary just isn't very good for my head. I started off completing Adriene's Yoga Camp back in January, and it's become a regular part of my weekly morning routine. I set my alarm half an hour earlier than normal,  and I love starting the day like that, especially as the mornings get darker and colder.

The words aren't still particularly coming along that easily, but it's a start...

No comments:

Post a Comment